Arlington Democrats has continued to monitor the evolution of the coronavirus (COVID-19) and its impact on our region. This morning, Arlington County issued new guidance on holding public meetings or gatherings during this public health crisis. Following the advice of our public health officials and elected leaders, Arlington Democrats is cancelling all in-person public meetings and events through the end of March.
Where possible, we will seek to reschedule these events, such as the Forum on the Arlington Community Energy Plan. We also will explore digital meeting options for appropriate events. For event-specific information, please refer to the Arlington Dems Facebook event page and online calendar, which will be updated on a rolling basis.
At this point in time, the Arlington Democrats still plan to hold our next monthly meeting on April 1, 2020-- which will include a County Board candidate debate -- and our annual Blue Victory Dinner on April 4, 2020. However, we are closely and continuously monitoring the situation and will provide further updates if this cancellation policy is extended into April.
We encourage all of our members to follow the prevention measures recommended by the Arlington County Public Health Department, listed here:
- Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds. Use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer only if soap and water are not available.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth as much as possible.
- Cover your mouth and nose with a tissue or sleeve (not hands) when coughing or sneezing.
- Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces (including your own phone).
- Stay home when you are sick.
- Get your annual flu shot if you haven’t already. You don’t want to be vulnerable to getting sick with both flu and COVID-19. (To find a nearby location to get your flu shot visit the CDC Flu-Finder website.
- Avoid contact with sick people as much as possible.
- Avoid non-essential travel.
Thank you for your efforts to keep our community safe.
Chair, Arlington Democrats