WHEREAS, despite significant efforts, there remains a persistent gap between the average achievement of students of color, English learners, students with disabilities, and economically disadvantaged students and the average achievement of other students in Arlington Public Schools (APS);
WHEREAS children who lack the opportunity to realize their full potential in grades K-12 face lifelong limitations on their economic opportunities and quality of life;
WHEREAS opportunity for all is a core Democratic policy goal;
WHEREAS we support APS in its continuing efforts, consistent with its 2018-2024 Strategic Plan, to close the opportunity gap, formerly known as the achievement gap, including, among others:
(1) expanding implicit bias training for teachers and school administrators, so that, among other things, teachers have and communicate high expectations for children of color, English learners, and students with disabilities;
(2) expanding learning opportunities, including making early childhood programs more broadly available and expanding special learning opportunities for older students;
(3) hiring additional qualified teachers of color;
(4) employing data-driven efforts to ensure that discipline is applied fairly to all students, without regard to color, disability, or ethnicity; and
(5) coming into compliance as soon as possible with all provisions of the settlement agreement reached by APS with the U.S. Justice Department regarding services for English learners;
THEREFORE, BE IT RESOLVED, that: The Arlington County Democratic Committee hereby supports APS’ redoubling of efforts to close as soon as possible the opportunity gap in APS.
Passed and Approved this Resolution on the 5th day of February, 2020.